Good news first, WE ARE HOME!  We got home around 9:00 tonight.  Taylor and Jade were so happy.  Taylor said she had been so lonely this whole time, she missed coming home to someone after school.  She made a welcome home sign and they had "presents" for her.  (Wrapped up toys that already belonged to her, lol).  That's about the only good thing about today.  I am exhausted so this will be the short version.  

Brinley got her PICC line in today because the blood culture showed no growth for 48 hrs (the culture they took from her vein before removing her central line).  So she had to fast AGAIN for 6 hours to be sedated for that.  She was so grouchy and hungry all day.  When they did the PICC line, they did it bedside, so we got to be there to watch.  It is a tube that runs from the vein in her arm almost all the way to her heart.  Long story short, he messed up the first time, had to redo it, messed up the second time, but didn't realize it until she was awake and the x-ray was read showing it was in too far, and he had already left.  They wouldn't sedate her again because it wasn't anything major to correct it, but we had to hold her down and watch her cry to remove the dressing, undo the stitches and put them through another spot in her skin to keep it in place.  It was so frustrating to put her through that so needlessly.  It brought everything that she has been through right back and I just wanted to break down and cry for her.  She cried a lot the rest of the night just asking to come home.  During the procedure Taylor called me to tell me Jade had a fever of 103.  Great.  Just beautiful.  So Jade is quite sick, I'll be calling the doctor tomorrow, and Brinley has an ANC of 200, so if she gets the fever we are right back in the hospital.  I can't even begin to express how overwhelmed I feel right now.  We have to give Brinley two different antibiotics through her PICC line.  That means administering it at 12AM, 6AM, 12PM, 2PM, 6PM, 10PM and again at 12AM.  Not to mention giving benadryl 30 minutes before the vancomycin each dose.  And nursing Mylee at about 4AM.  And finding the time to get Jade to the doctor in between doses.  And be here for the nurse to come change the dressing on the PICC line.  Ugh.  Why can't I divide in half like those stupid cancer cells that took over her body in the first place. And that was the short version.  


Stacy said...

I am sorry Krisitin. Lots of love and prayers

Kristine said...

I hope everything is back under control and everyone is healthy soon! Sounds like a very frustrating couple of days! I'd be pulling my hair out too.

I hope Jade is okay and Brinley doesn't get her illness. I wish I could do more for you.

Ana said...

Kristin, thank you for the updates. I hope things settle down soon.
Ana Luisa